Thursday 10 January 2013

In the Beginning....

There was  a runner; a girl who loved to run, and whose dream was to see the world running.
Well, I still have that dream.

After a disastrous 2012 where I was newly diagnosed with Asthma, one race was cancelled due to flooding, and another (NYC Marathon) due to hurricane Sandy, added to this, 2 injuries - patella tendonitis in leg 1, and a calf tear in leg 2, its a wonder I can walk.  But now, I've set my sights even higher!  I want to race a lot more, get a lot faster, and one day, before I'm into the next age category, qualify for the Boston Marathon.

This means I have to run a marathon in under 3 hours and 35 minutes.  My best time was in Berlin 2011 at 4 hours 33 minutes.  So, I only have to cut off an hour.

This blog is to help me do that, and in consultation with some experienced runners, I should aim for 2015 or 2016 as possibility.  As I'll be turning 30 in 2016, I would like to set that year as the goal, and hopefully to run the BQ in the London Marathon if I can get a place (hopefully I'll already have qualified for a London good for age place at 3h50 by then).

So, step 1:  Follow a marathon training plan to a T, no excuses, no treadmill, and run at the correct pace.
I've chosen Hal Higdon's Intermediate 1, and the Halstead and Essex Marathon on May 12th.
I'm day 4 into the plan and have completed all the sessions so far.

Week 1 looks like this:
Monday: Cross train (i did a brisk walk in my barefoot shoes and some weights and strenthening exercises)
Tuesday: 3 mile recovery run - easy not much to report
Wednesday: 5 miles 'sorta long run' - running through the sites of London, stopping to take pictures along the way, which messed with my pace, but it was fun - must take on some energy drink next time as was quite tired around the 4 mile mark
Thursday: 3 mile recovery run (tonight)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 5 mile pace (as in race pace - I'll be in Oxford so I'm going to try out my new trail running shoes in the meadow for this)
Sunday: 8 mile Long slow run

So far 8 miles out of 24 completed and I feel good.  Trying to increase carb in take from fruit and veg as opposed to starches - I've just been reading that this is especially important after the run for glycogen replenishment.

Wish me luck, follow my journey, and hopefully see you on the start line in Boston in 3 years!


No comments:

Post a Comment