Saturday 26 January 2013

5 mile pace run getting faster! :-)

Saturday of week 3 and a 5 mile pace run on the menu.  I'd had some issues with my left foot/calf earlier in the week.  Seems it was suffering from the lack of support in the trail shoes and residual weakness from having pulled the calf muscle last year.  This didn't stop me today!

I went out and actually did a proper warm up- stopped to stretch and every thing, with some dynamic calf stretches :-) and leg swings.  I then started out on the 5 miler, definitely started too fast.  By 0.2 miles my lap pace was an 8 minute mile, so I slowed up.  Other than stopping to walk for a drink at the half way point, and at the apex of the toughest hill, I ran the whole time- it was a traffic light free route, so I could just run 2.5 miles out and 2.5 miles back, and I jumped onto the road where the pavement was too icy.

Managed the following splits:

Mile 1: 8:50
Mile 2: 9:05
Mile 3: 8:48
Mile 4: 8:51
Mile 5: 8:17

This time its miles 2 and 5 that are off the pace, but I think this is ok if it were a race- pushing hard in the last mile, to make up the time lost in mile 2.  Now, this is all well above my next marathon pace.  I think a realistic goal is 4hr 15, whereas this pacing would suggest 3:50.
Perhaps  I can readjust the goal if the training continues to go well, but currently I'm doing the pace runs at half marathon pace as I hope to get a pb in the Colchester half (1:57) - todays pacing would be a 1:50

Feeling great for today's run, and looking forward to the easy 6 miles tomorrow :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment