Tuesday 25 June 2013

The next 10k session

After my dithering last night, I picked another 10k session from women's running magazine. 8-10x800m with 75-90s jog/walk recovery. I mostly walked the recoveries and they were all 90s due to setting up the garmin- also, the distance was 0.5 miles, but I'm pretty sure that is exactly 800m. This session is almost like yasso 800s- the difference being the recoveries are much shorter- after much marathon reading last night in prep for one next spring, I decided my target time for that should be 3:55, so I would be surprised to find I could do these intervals at that pace. Indeed I was pleasantly surprised as I wasn't that far off, and given my dinner last night was a Greek salad and I only had a cup of beeple juice before I set off, I think this was a pretty good one again.

Interval paces and times as follows:
Interval 1: 8:07mm, 4:04
Interval 2: 7:42mm, 3:51
Interval 3: 7:57mm, 3:58
Interval 4: 7:58mm, 3:58
Interval 5: 7:54mm, 3:56
Interval 6: 7:33mm, 3:46
Interval 7: 7:54mm, 3:56
Interval 8: 7:48mm, 3:54

I forgot to mention that the session dictated that odd number intervals should be done at threshold pace and even number intervals at target 10k pace. Clearly interval 6 was a bit gangbusters! But sub 8mm for the 10k should be fine again based on this session. After this weekend where I have a long bike ride and a 12 mile race, I'll see what effect these speed sessions have had with some tempo runs before tuning up pre race with some faster intervals. And what does this mean for marathon pace? We'll see for sure when I begin marathon training again, but I think that these speed sessions are possible at this level because of my fitness from training for the halstead marathon. Perhaps if it strictly followed yasso 800 format, with a longer recovery time, I might have done each at 3:50- that's an experiment for later in the season though.

No comments:

Post a Comment