Sunday 30 June 2013

57 mile ride

After finishing my Parkrun director duties, we headed out for a 60 mile bike ride. The weather was ideal for cycling- I often get cold when cycling, so it was nice to be able to wear just the short sleeved jersey and be warm enough.

After getting in from 57 mile bike ride, david fell asleep on the sofa, ashamed at his bad route planing that lost us 3 miles despite 2 detours! We did a lovely round trip, starting off through constable country- Dedham, Stratford-St-Mary, Lawford then toward the coast, Manningtree, a funny village called Beaumont cum Mozze... I giggled like a school girl at this one... cycled some more, ended up at Holland on Sea, and then Clacton - David wanted to stop for an ice cream... then we took a wrong turn toward Jaywick, then back the right way through Thorrington, Brightlingsea, Alresford, where I grew up- bumped into one of my mum's friends who had rescued me when i fell of my bike as a youngling and banged my chin on the pavement, biting through my lip and creating a bloody mess,... then down to Alresford creek, back up to the main road to get to Wivenhoe... stopped for fish an chips and beer... bad idea, meant the 7 remanning miles home were rather uncomfortable!

That said, I felt really good on the ride yesterday, I think the 10k training is actually helping me stay strong on the bike, so dual benefit. Now have confidence that completing the 100 miles in a semi-decent time is possible. I'm really feeling the benefit of my endurance now fully recovered from the marathon, I could easily have done another 10 miles, but decided not to push it due to my race today...

No comments:

Post a Comment