Sunday 2 June 2013

Juneathon day 2: not quite a run, but a pootle on the bike

So, I have run today, I ran to the shop to buy a twister after my bike ride.... My 54 mile bike ride.

We did a lovely route exploring north Essex and Suffolk. The sun has worked it's magic, we saw a gazillion other cyclists out today, and almost all of them said hi. Other than riding, there was nothing particularly eventful during the ride. We stopped every 15 miles to have a fuel stop. At the first we found a lovely park meadow thing and I had a banana and a Jaffa cake. On the second stop we were in earls colne, so we got some ice cream. I had a twister, and I think this is possibly the best mid ride fuel. Chased it with an SiS energy gel tropical. On the 4th stop, I had one of the things that was in my goody bag post Halstead marathon- a cheap imitation of a mars bar. On this particular stop, I was lying on a grass verge at an intersection, as a car was driving past the passenger called out to check I was ok- clearly I looked worse than I felt! Getting back on after this stop was hard- saddle sore had kicked in. But wow, 54 miles- the furthest I've ever cycled. It was so nice to see so many other cyclists out, and I really wish it was a means of transport that people used more often, like to pop to the local shop for teabags and such.

When I got home, I wanted another twister, so I ran to the petrol station to get one :-). About a quarter mile before I decided my legs had done enough work today

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I like a bit of cycling, but I've never even contemplated that sort of distance. Well done you! And I haven't had a twister for years, I'm well jel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooooove twisters... I would live on them if I could :-)
      Yes, 54 miles is really long way to cycle, but we're doing the Ride London-Surrey 100 in August, so I need to be able to ride double that distance! eeek

      Delete