Friday 21 June 2013

10k training is frickin awesome!

So after the upset of not being able to do Bournemouth Marathon because of scheduling conflicts, and not being able to find a suitable alternative, I decided I will stick with speed and shorter distances for the rest of the year. This means the days and weeks I spent devising my training plan for the next 4 months were a little bit wasted...

I was supposed to do a 5 mile hilly run last night, but when I got home was starving and convinced my fiancé to take me out for dinner- we went to one of the local pubs and I had a super healthy dinner of gammon egg and chips! Sooooo salty! I decided I could do a more 10k specific session in the morning. One I'd seen in Women's running. I set it up on my garmin when I got home and went to bed early.

The session was 6x 5 minutes with 90 seconds jog/walk recovery. Intervals 1-3 at tempo pace and intervals 4-6 at 10k pace. I figured tempo would be my half marathon pace at 8:50, and 10k would be somewhere around 8:20. Turns out the paces I ran were about 30s per mile faster than this, which gives me some confidence my next 10k will be a pb.

Here are the paces:
Interval 1: 8:20
Interval 2: 8:19
Interval 3: 8:04
Interval 4: 7:52
Interval 5: 7:48
Interval 6: 7:48

I was really trying to push the last interval, but couldn't get it any faster, and in my cool down I had to give up running after about half a mile as I was just too tired. I think this is pretty good going given I didn't eat before, but I'm not sure how realistic 7:50mm is as a pace for a full 10k.

To get into BQ territory, I would need it to be sub 46 minute 10k. My pb from 2008 is 52:50. Pretty sure I could replicate that today. 7:50 pace would give me sub 49 minutes, so almost 4 minutes off my last pb. I think my next 10k will be Felstead on 14th July, so that's 3 weeks of training. Is that enough to make 49 minutes achievable?

No comments:

Post a Comment