Monday 8 July 2013

Shiny new Parkrun and 5k pb

Race report for Saturday’s parkrun.  
So, I was never sure if I was going to make it for this parkrun on time, as I had a Dr appt at 8:30, however, luckily he got there and we started early, though we did spend much of the appointment talking about cycling and the best way to get a 6-pack!  He’s into cycling!  But fulfilled his doctorly duties and made sure to tell me not to take it too seriously.

Got to the park with about 10 minutes to spare, so thought I’d go to the toilet, but the chap was cleaning the ladies and wouldn’t let us in.  Eventually I was encouraged to use the men’s instead.  Not sure it would have made a huge difference other than to settle my nerves.  I said hello to the other Core group people and Gareth, who was doing the Para’s 10 later in the day, said he would run with me, so he didn’t push it too hard… charming! 

I tried not to go off too fast, since Colchester Castle Parkrun is quite a challenging course.  After the first 200 metres with a slight incline, it is downhill for the first couple of km, then flat, before coming up the tough hill to go around the castle for the second time – you get the downhill again, but you don’t get the respite of a long flat section before having to go uphill again.  The second time up this hill really saps your legs, and for me at least, left nothing for the sprint finish.  After that second hill, it was all about holding on.  Its hard to know whether to pace oneself on a 5k.  Now I have an idea of where my 5k fitness is, I guess that would make sense, but then again, I would probably be a lot faster on a flat course.  In 2 weeks time, Colchester has had to cancel the parkrun due to another event in the park, so I might travel to Chelmsford to do theirs, which is apparently quite flat!  There were a few parts of this where I might have stopped for a few paces, but having Gareth next to me meant I didn’t want to lose face.  He encouraged me up the hill the second time, reminding me to pump my arms, which did help, and also made me realise that I need to start doing weights again.  He asked if I had anything for the sprint finish, but I really didn’t.  This is certainly something I have to work on.

I think the following reasons perhaps had bearing on my result on Saturday.  The last parkrun I did was 24:19
-          It was 6 days after my marathon (Its possible my legs were still a tad tired)
-          I’ve been doing speed work recently
-          I had Gareth as a pacer
-          I knew I was in pb shape, based on the last parkrun- at that time I didn’t know I could go sub 24, so didn’t try for it
-          I knew the course better.

I rather suspect I will set a pb on this course the next couple of times I run it without specific training, just as I become more familiar with it.  I was speaking to one of the Colchester Harriers afterwards who said it’s a really tactical course, because of the incline.

Splits:
Mile 1: 7:17
Mile 2: 7:37
Mile 3: 7:31
Last 0.11 @ 6:13 pace
Making an average pace of 7:26


My max heart rate went as high as 205, which I don’t think I’ve hit since I was 20 and on a rowing machine!  I think this was down to the heat, so Sarah, you’re right, it did have an affect.  That said, my legs definitely could have given a bit more, which is good for doing it on a cooler day.

No comments:

Post a Comment