Thursday 11 July 2013

A bit of reflection...

I feel like patting myself on the back. When I started this blog, I was so far away from the idea of qualifying for Boston that I just wasn't sure it would ever be possible, especially as back then I think I would have struggled to do even 1 mile in 8 minutes. I have a good feeling I will do my 10k at that pace this Sunday though.

To qualify for Boston, I was told my shorter race distance times need to look like this:
5k- 22mins
10k- 45 mins
Half marathon- 1:38

Which should lead to a 3:35 full marathon.

After only 3 weeks of speedwork, my 5k is already getting closer to that at 23:08 on a hilly Parkrun course. I would like to see if I can get it to 22 over the summer. I'm then going to build my endurance back up with a lot more off road for my long runs hoping to complete the Essex way.

I think the 45 min 10k and 1:38 half can come in 2014- although that half may take a lot longer to come- half marathons seem to all be on the same dates.

So in 7 months I have taken almost a minute off my 5k pb set in 2011, 3 minutes off my half marathon pb set in 2010, and 15 minutes off my marathon pb set in 2011. This is all off the back of marathon training. We'll see what I do with a 10k this weekend, and another one in September after a dedicated few weeks of speed work.

No comments:

Post a Comment