Monday 8 April 2013

First 20 miler

Sunday morning ready for my first 20 miler of this campaign. Did it as race prep, so up at 7am for porridge with banana, beeple and a cup of tea followed by 500ml Sis go and generally getting ready to run at 10am, the same time my race will start.

The 20 went really well- I think chia seeds are the key. I've found shorter long runs a lot harder without chia...

I set easy pace as between 10:15 and 11:00 and marathon pace between 9:30 and 9:45. The second marathon pace section was harder but still manageable, and I think my pace came down a lot in the last mile as for the first 3 the garmin was constantly beeping at me to slow down. Anyway, this is how I ran:

Miles 1-6 10:29
Miles 7-10 9:32
Miles 11-14. 10:34
Miles 15-18 9:33
Miles 19-20. 10:42

The last 2 miles were pretty tough but I think this was becaus I was nearly home and knew I was nearly done. Certainly at mile 17/18 I was feeling exceptionally good and like I had the stamina to run 26 miles. I did this in just under 3:23. This would give me 1 hour 10 minutes to do 6 miles and still come under my marathon pb. That being said this run has given me confidence that my starting pace should be 9:33. Whenever I was n a MP section the garmin was beeping at me to slow down. If I can maintain 9:33 for the first half and allow myself to fade, or even hold on, I'll be more than comfortable with my 4:15 goal.

What's more with my recent half marathon time I think I just need to do some more of these long 20 milers to get under 4 hours in the autumn.

It was a lovely run along the river Colne toward the coast. I came off the river at Alresford where I grew up and did a run around the playing field and the rest of the village. It's amazing, when I was little it was huge and I would have to get on my bike, or beg my parents to drive me to go to the local shop... Probably took me about 3 minutes to run that distance on Sunday. It was really nice to run along the Wivenhoe trail in the sunshine. I spent a lot of time thinking about my childhood and all the walks/bike rides I would do with my dad back then. It really was a lovely day for a run! The proof is in the pictures :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment