Tuesday 10 December 2013

Christmas Gifts for the Runner in your life

Hello people!

I'm getting rather excited about my first proper session with the Colchester Harriers tonight.  Even more excited than I get about Christmas!  But for those of you who read this blog, and don't know what to get your running friend for Christmas, I've put some hints and tips below.  As a note, I already own all of these, which is why I'm happy to recommend them, so they are not a Santa's list for me!

Running with the Kenyans  This tracks Guardian Journalist Adharanand Finn on his anthropological journey in Kenya.  A place where the top runners are as revered as football players here in the UK.  Its a great read, and if I learnt anything from it, it was the importance of recovering thoroughly from your runs.


Born to Run  Another classic and study of a tribe in Mexico who are amazing ultra runners.  This book made me want to run barefoot, and run ultras!  I tried the barefoot thing with some minimalist shoes and had a whole host of lower leg problems, but that's another story.  This is a great read, and I'm sure it will get some of you trying more scenic runs to try and capture the beauty of the outside world!


Advanced Marathoning This is a must for anyone going for the marathon!  I didn't read it until I was training for my third marathon, but it has the best scientific description of all the energy systems you are trying to train with each type of training session.  It also has some handy strength training and core training exercises that you can easily do at home with a swiss ball and a pair of dumbells.  I use this one Reebok Gym Ball .


Marathon by Hal Higdon.  This book is full of training plans from the complete beginner to the advanced marathoner.  I personally follow these plans, as the relatively low mid-week mileage suits me.  I am following Intermediate II this time, in preparation for Manchester Marathon.  I followed Intermediate I for Halstead in May this year and got a 15 minute pb, but more importantly, felt physically much better and stronger during the race.

I will post some more about other gadgetry in the next few days, but for some stocking fillers, you can't go wrong with these books!

Happy Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment