Friday 3 October 2014

Five marathons and an ultra. . .

If like me you were hooked on Richard Curtis films through the 90s and noughties, you would no doubt think of the film 4 weddings and a funeral.  However, there isn't much about this, that's like that, except perhaps the copious amounts of alcohol I may have consumed during the Bacchus marathon.

This is about my challenge for 2014.  This time last year, I decided that I would do 5 marathons and an ultra marathon in memory of my Dad to raise money for the June Hancock Mesothelioma Research fund.  My fundraising link is here: www.virginmoneygiving.com/angelaisherwood  Please take a look to see why I chose all of them, and see below for a quick review.

The first of the five would be the Greater Manchester Marathon - here is where, on my long term plan to qualify for the Boston Marathon, I would achieve a London Good For Age qualification.  When I started the journey toward my BQ (Boston Qualifier), a London GFA for a lady my age was 3:50;  this changed to 3:45 last summer.  I should have done a marathon last autumn that would have been my first sub-4 hours, but various things happened which meant I didn't have an autumn marathon at all.  Therefore, I had to take 34 minutes off my previous best to achieve my London GFA.  Well, I did more than that; I ran it in 3:39.  I don't think I've ever had a more perfect race, and I do recommend you read my blog to see how I felt in those last few miles, as I nailed it: Manchester Marathon

The next, was London, just a week later.  This was a challenge in itself; would I recover enough to run another 26.2 miles a week later.  I had been mentoring someone on the runnersworld  Forum.  She was going for a 4hr 30 marathon, and I was confident I would be able to pace her around.  This way I could enjoy running the race but still have a purpose.  It was a fabulous day, and we paced it perfectly, finishing in 4:30:10.


There was a luxurious 2 month gap between the second and third marathon of the year, I just had the small matter of getting married and going on honeymoon to attend to before returning to running.  I fantasised about running up the Pitons in St Lucia as being ideal off road training for the next marathons I was doing, but the reality on hiking these mountains was that it took two hours to cover less than 2 miles to the top, and the same coming down, and it was REALLY hard work (and that's coming from a multiple marathon runner).

The Third was my 'local' marathon, The Stour Valley Marathon.  It was just a week after we got back from our honeymoon, and I had done very little running since London Marathon, what with the final preparations for our wedding.  Still, this was one of the most enjoyable days I have ever had running.  What had been a very hot week turned into ideal running conditions, and we were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Constable Country without melting.  What's more, a cooked meal when we finished.  Congratulations must go to Kevin, Race Director, who put on a really brilliant race, and a fabulous memento of a horse shoe.  I've already signed up for next year, and can't wait.

Number 4 was a few weeks later, and hubby and I had our second holiday as a married couple in the Lake District.  We camped for this one, and had an amazing view of Lake Coniston from our Camp site, which was just a couple of miles away from the race start, and in fact, I ran past the camp site in the last couple of miles of the race.  The scenery was breathtaking, but one part that really struck me, is that a bit before the halfway point, after running around Tarn Howes, I was running downhill alongside a stream, which I instantly recognised as a footpath I had walked with my dad 11 years ago when he took me there to see parts of the lake district to help me with my A Level geography studies.  All that time ago, I left all the planning to him, so I had no idea where we had been.  I could have cried, but instead I had a big grin on my face that Providence had brought me back to this place to remember my Dad doing something he would have loved to do (well, not so much the running, but the exploring the Lakes).

Number 5 was last month in Surrey - the Bacchus marathon;  Again this was off road and not for time.  The challenge of this one was wine at the aid stations as it was on Denbies vinyard.  We had a wonderful weekend with family, and @mia79gbr stayed with us, and we ran the whole way around together in fancy dress.  The pictures showed we had a really good time, and the wine was fab!  LOVED this event, and I'm sure that will go in the calendar next year too.



This weekend, I take on the final challenge, which is my very first ultra marathon, The Saltmarsh 75.  75 miles over two days including camping over night.  At least this is a challenge, not a race, nonetheless, I am a bit frightened of the unknown.  Its been a long time since I've attempted a new distance.  And its excitement as well as fear.  All I can say is wish me luck, and I'll see you on the other side!

And, I would love some more sponsorship if you can spare it. .  . £7.50 is just 10p per mile!  www.virginmoneygiving.com/angelaisherwood 

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck for the weekend, although I'm sure you wont need it.
    What a wonderful way to remember and celebrate Dad!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been privileged to run in several of these races with you this year. You have been amazing and I have no doubt you'll get that Boston Qualifier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The privilege has been mine! Can't wait to do giants head! But don't care what you say, I'm having a loooong stop at mile 20 ;)

    ReplyDelete