Thursday 26 September 2013

Marathons are like buses

It's been a few days since Ipswich half. My last race of the 2013 season (unless I enter any others, which is unlikely due to many wedding related commitments).  I've been going around like a grump as I thought it would be a good idea to have a week off running, but have also been plotting a crazy challenge of a marathon a month in 2014, or at least entering a few more than 2, although only planning to race Manchester.  The tentative plan is that many of the others would be off road, or themed in some way so that the pressure to get a good time wouldn't be there.

I've even devised a tentative race calendar which looks like this:

March: Colchester half, Essex 20, Orion 15
April: greater Manchester marathon
May: Halstead and Essex marathon- enter on the day if I'm recovered, and need something to take my mind of impending nuptials
June: Wales trail marathon (unrealistic as I won't have enough holiday and Wales is far)
July: TR24
August: Thames Meander marathon
September: Bacchus marathon... New Forest? Loch Ness?
October: Norfolk Ultra
November: Cyprus International 4 day challenge.

I haven't committed myself to any of these, though in my mind I'm definitely doing Bacchus and the Cyprus 4-day- excellent fun holiday with @mia79gbr, and of course Manchester, which I entered last week.... 

Today, one of these arrived:


One of the reasons I entered Manchester before waiting for this is the date of the 2014 London marathon is 1 day before the 2 year anniversary of my dad's death, and I thought it would just be too hard to do myself justice to try and get a GFA time with the emotional state I may be in...  But then this arrived.  I told twitter and Facebook, and I now think that doing the race for fun (bear in mind I find running pbs fun too) might be ideal.  London is such a great marathon, the best in the world, and I feel very lucky to have got a place for 2014.  Plus it's in reserve for racing if anything happens to stop me from racing Manchester.

So, I guess I'll be running London (*slowly)... Who's coming to watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment